This document describes the methods and protocols for the exchange of computerinterpretable product data in space projects. Product data is defined as all data that specifies one or more aspects of a product throughout its life cycle. This document describes which standard protocol to use in what data exchange context by making reference to existing external standards. It does not cover the contents of any product data exchange protocol itself.
Two categories of product data exchange are distinguished:
- exchange of data between alternative tools used within one discipline, where the tools share similar functionality, and
- exchange of data between tools of different discipline
For the second category, in most cases only a subset of the product data represented in one discipline can be transferred meaningfully to a representation in another discipline.
Explicitly not within this document’s scope are:
- identification or availability of software tools to perform product data exchange,
- data compression standards, and
- data encryption standards.
This document can be applied to all participants in space programmes and throughout the complete product life cycle. The participants include customers, suppliers and partners at all levels and from all disciplines.
This Technical Memorandum supports following ECSS Standard: ECSS-E-ST-10C (6 March 2009).