potential threat to the schedule, cost, performance and quality of a project or programme that is controlled by a specific action plan in order to mitigate emanating risks and to prevent undesirable consequences
NOTE Examples of critical items are:
- item not qualified or validated for the application in question (or has caused problems previously which remained unresolved).
- item for which it is difficult to demonstrate design performance.
- item highly sensitive to the conditions under which it is produced or used (e.g. contamination, radiation).
- item having the potential to degrade the quality of the product significantly, and hence the ability of the end-product to accomplish defined mission objectives.
- item for which major difficulties or uncertainties are expected in the procurement, manufacturing, assembly, inspection, test, handling, storage and transportation, that have the potential to lead to a major degradation in the quality of the product.