This standard has been cancelled and replaced by ECSS-Q-ST-70-02C (15 November 2008).
This Standard describes a thermal vacuumtest to determine the outgassing properties of materials proposed for use in the fabrication of spacecraft and associated equipment, for vacuum facilities used for flight hardware tests and for certain launcher hardware.
This Standard covers the following:
- critical design parameters of the test system;
- critical test parameters such as temperature, time, pressure;
- material sample preparation;
- conditioning parameters for samples and collector plates;
- presentation of the test data;
- acceptance criteria;
- certification of test systems and their operators by audits and round robin
The test described in this Standard is applicable for all unmanned spacecraft, launchers, payloads, experiments. The test is also valid for external hardware of inhabited space systems and for hardware to be used in terrestrial vacuum test facilities.
The acceptance criteria for a material, based upon the outgassing test data, depends upon the application and location of the material and may be more severe than the standard requirements as given in subclause 7.2.